WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – Ole Miss junior kicker Luke Logan has been named to the preseason Lou Groza Award watch list, the Palm Beach County Sports Commission announced on Wednesday.
Logan is one of 30 collegiate players from across the nation to find a place on this year's watch list for the award, which honors the nation's best collegiate placekicker.
The Hattiesburg, Mississippi, native was 22-of-27 in field goal attempts last season, with a long of 40 yards. His 22 field goals tied the school record for the second-most in a single season.
Logan finished third in the SEC and 10th national in scoring in 2018 with 9.3 points per game. Last year, Logan was third in points scored in Ole Miss’ single-season record book with 111.
Former Rebel Jonathan Nichols earned the Lou Groza Award following his 2003 junior season, becoming the first Ole Miss player to receive the award.
Accomplishments are tabulated throughout the season and the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award will announce its 20 semifinalists on Thursday, Nov. 7. From this list, a panel of more than 100 FBS head coaches, SIDs, media members, former Groza finalists, and current NFL kickers selects the top three finalists for the award, announced on Tuesday, Nov. 26.
The winner of the 2019 Lou Groza Award will be announced live on The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, Dec. 12 on ESPN.
Ole Miss will open the 2019 season at Memphis on Aug. 31. Kick is slated for 11 a.m. CT and will be televised on ABC-WTVA.
- Ole Miss’ Logan selected to watch list for Lou Groza Award
- Christmann selected to Groza Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Phillips selected to watch list for Doak Walker Award
- Ole Miss’ Cooley named to Mackey Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown named to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf added to Biletnikoff Award Watch List
- Ole Miss' Phillips named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Sanogo tabbed to Butkus Award watch list
- Ole Miss’ Moore added to Biletnikoff Award watch list
- A.J. Brown selected to watch list for Walter Camp Award