LYNCHBURG, Va. (Ole Miss Athletics/WTVA) - Jordan Fowler was named a second-team Freshman All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association on Monday.
The freshman left-hander just wrapped up an outstanding rookie campaign, in which he went 7-0 with a 3.20 ERA; the best record and lowest ERA among all Rebel starters.
A first-year talent out of Union City, Tennessee, Fowler maintained a .237 opponent batting average over 16 appearances and nine starts. Over the course of the season, he emerged as the Rebels’ No. 4 starter, helping the team tie for the best record in program history at 13-1 in midweek games.
Fowler allowed just 16 earned runs in 45 innings of work, striking out 34 and walking only 18. He allowed 40 hits on the season for a WHIP of 1.29.
Fowler only improved as the season went on, turning in two of his most impressive performances in his final two outings. He outdueled Texas A&M ace Mitchell Kilkenny in the SEC Tournament semifinals, throwing six scoreless innings, giving up just six hits and a walk over six innings in a 2-1 victory that was crucial to the Rebels’ SEC Tournament Championship run. He was outstanding in his NCAA Oxford Regional appearance as well, limiting Tennessee Tech, college baseball’s most prolific offense, to just two runs and four hits in 5.1 innings.
Fowler allowed less than four runs in all but one of his nine starts and will return next season as a vital part of the Rebel pitching staff.
Fowler is one of nine SEC freshman to be honored by NCBWA and one of just two SEC pitchers on the list. Last week, Fowler was also named a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball.
- Ole Miss' Jordan Fowler named NCBWA Freshman All-American
- Keenan, Jordan named Freshman All-Americans
- Woolfolk tabbed NCBWA preseason All-American
- Ole Miss’ Mimi Reid named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Ole Miss' Nikhazy named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Ole Miss freshman quarterback named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week
- Brady Feigl named NCBWA Pitcher of the Month
- Gary Henderson named NCBWA Coach Of The Year
- Ole Miss’ Metcalf earns SEC All-Freshman honors
- Ole Miss duo earns SEC All-Freshman honors