OXFORD (WTVA) - Armoni Clark threw for 472 yards and three touchdowns as Noxubee County rallied from a 28-14 halftime deficit to defeat East Central 41-35 for the Class 4A championship on Saturday.
Noxubee County (11-4) won its fifth state title and third in the last four years.
"I'm so happy for these seniors that didn't get a chance, and these guys, they were resilient tonight," said Noxubee County head coach Tyrone Shorter. "I told them at halftime, don't panic guys, we fine. I didn't yell, I didn't fuss, I didn't do anything at halftime but told them we're gonna win this football game. Just have faith."
"When we got in the locker room, Coach Shorter told us we been in this situation before," Clark said. "He believes in us, we believe in them. We just tried to come out here and do the best we could to get the win. We came out with it."
East Central took a 14-0 lead thanks to Tony Brown's two touchdown runs, but Brown left the game in the second quarter with a dislocated shoulder.
East Central, which was seeking its first state championship, finished the season with a 13-1 record.
- Noxubee County rallies to win Class 4A championship
- Louisville wins Class 4A state football championship
- Jefferson Davis County wins Class 3A championship
- West Point wins Class 5A championship
- Pearl rallies to defeat Starkville for Class 6A championship
- Starkville Academy wins MAIS class AAA state championship
- Water Valley wins Class 3A state football championship
- Nanih Waiya wins Class 1A state football championship
- West Point wins Class 5A state football championship
- Raymond defeats Corinth for 4A boys crown