BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - The baseball and softball programs at Northeast Mississippi Community College will soon have their own "fields of dreams."
Construction began Monday on the $8.16 million on-campus project, and a groundbreaking ceremony was held Thursday morning.
Northeast president Ricky Ford, among others, addressed the crowd.
The school's baseball and softball complex is scheduled to open in August 2019. Both fields will have artificial turf.
"We can't wait for it. These guys deserve it," said Northeast head baseball coach Richy Harrelson. "They bleed and sweat and work hard for us every day so for the school to contribute back to them and the community, what it's gonna mean for our town, it's just gonna be a great thing."
"It's more than anything we'd ever asked for, or wished for," said Northeast head softball coach Jody Long. "This will be the game changer in recruiting, and in the game of softball."
- Northeast holds groundbreaking ceremony for "Field of Dreams"
- If you build it ... White Sox and Yankees to play at 'Field of Dreams' movie site in Iowa
- Northeast sweeps Holmes
- Local cheer team holds ring ceremony for recent national championship
- Northeast women, ICC men win
- Northeast's Wallace honored by MACJC
- Northeast's Castillo honored by MACJC
- Northeast releases 2018 football schedule
- Northeast's Williams honored by MACJC
- Northeast reinstates men's golf program