SENATOBIA, Miss. (WTVA/NEMCC Athletics) - Northeast Mississippi Community College's run in the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) State Tournament has come to a close.
The Lady Tigers fell to Copiah-Lincoln Community College, 65-57, while the Tigers lost to host Northwest Mississippi Community College, 83-80, in the semifinal round on Wednesday.
Aundrea Adams had a team-best 20 points plus seven rebounds to lead the Lady Tigers (17-8), who led 24-23 at the break but was outscored 42-33 in the second half.
Alexus Holt topped the Lady Wolves (22-3), who will play 5th-ranked Jones County Junior College for the state championship, with 22 points.
The 12th-ranked Rangers (22-2) led from start to finish, but Northeast made a furious comeback at the end and had a chance to tie the game. However, a turnover at the buzzer ended the Tigers' hopes.
Northeast (17-8) placed four in double digits, including Bryant Givens and Felix Hayes with 17 points apiece. Antares Gwyn added a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds while Denzel McDuffey had 13 points.
Tremont Robinson had 25 points, 11 assists and six rebounds for the Rangers, who will play Pearl River Community College for the state championship tomorrow night.
Both Northeast teams now await official word on their opponents at next week's National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region 23 Tournament, which will take place at Mississippi College's A.E. Wood Coliseum.
- Northeast bows out of MACJC State Tournament
- Northeast's Wallace honored by MACJC
- Northeast's Castillo honored by MACJC
- Northeast's Williams honored by MACJC
- Northeast's Baugus honored by MACJC
- Northeast's Smith honored by MACJC
- Northeast sweeps weekly MACJC basketball awards
- Northeast's Rogan honored by MACJC again
- ICC to host MACJC Softball Tournament
- Northeast basketball teams eliminated from Region Tournament