SEATTLE (AP) - Jordan Danberry had a career-high 20 points, Anriel Howard scored all 16 of her points in the first half and No. 4 Mississippi State jumped to a 21-point first-quarter lead and cruised to a 103-56 victory over Washington on Thursday night.
Playing two days after falling at No. 7 Oregon, the Bulldogs (11-1) showed no hangover. The Bulldogs used their size and athleticism to overwhelm Washington from the start and scored 18 of the first 21 points and were never threatened. Teaira McCowan added 13 points and 13 rebounds in just 22 minutes.
Mississippi State (11-1) led 56-21 at halftime and by as much as 50 in the second half. Chloe Bibby added 15 points. The Bulldogs topped 100 points for the fifth time this season.
Alexis Griggsby led Washington (7-5) with 11 points off the bench and Hannah Johnson added 10, but the Huskies simply didn't have the talent to match the Bulldogs. Scoring leader Amber Melgoza was held to three points all coming at the free-throw line.
This was a far different version of the Huskies than the one that Mississippi State saw two seasons ago in the only other meeting between the schools in the NCAA regional semifinals. That Washington team was led by Kelsey Plum, the NCAA's career scoring leader, but she saw her college career end in a 75-64 loss to Mississippi State.
This version of the Bulldogs came to Seattle after enduring their first bit of adversity this season, watching a third-quarter lead disappear as Oregon rallied for an 82-74 victory. The loss to the Ducks snapped a 46-game nonconference winning streak for Mississippi State but it was clear from the start a new streak would start against Washington.
Eleven different Mississippi State players scored.
- No. 4 Mississippi State women rebound from loss, rout Washington 103-56
- Mississippi State women rout Texas 67-49
- Mississippi State routs Vanderbilt 71-55
- No. 10 Mississippi State women rout Jackson State
- No. 10 Mississippi State routs Troy 122-82
- Mississippi State women defeat Jackson State 105-38
- Penn State routs Mississippi State 75-60 to reach NIT final
- Mississippi State routs Texas A&M at SEC tournament
- Nix helps No. 7 Auburn rout Mississippi State
- Mississippi State women remain perfect in Cancun