TUCSON, Ariz. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – After outstanding starts to their Ole Miss baseball careers, Doug Nikhazy and Kevin Graham have been named Freshman All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball.
For Nikhazy, the All-American nod adds to a growing list of accolades earned by the rookie out of Windermere, Florida. Nikhazy was also named Freshman All-SEC, in addition to two SEC Freshman of the Week honors during conference play.
He opened the season working primarily out of the bullpen but moved into a weekend starting role around the start of SEC play. In his first SEC start, Nikhazy took a no-hitter into the seventh inning at Missouri and ultimately turned in 7.2 innings of two-hit ball, combining on one of four shutouts by the Rebel staff this season.
Nikhazy also combined with Parker Caracci on the fourth Rebel shutout of 2019 against Texas A&M during the SEC Tournament. In an elimination game, Nikhazy outdueled Aggie ace John Doxakis, going eight innings with no runs allowed on just three hits, walking four and striking out two in a 1-0 Rebel victory.
He was outstanding in the NCAA Oxford Regional as well, silencing a dangerous Clemson lineup. Nikhazy went 8+ innings, allowing just one run on four hits, walking three and striking out nine. He got into some hot water in the eighth inning but struck out the Tigers' top bat, Logan Davidson, who was selected in the first round of the MLB Draft just two days later.
Graham also started the season with a minimal role but emerged as a critical piece in the Rebel lineup as the season wore on.
The freshman out of O'Fallon, Missouri, enters the NCAA Fayetteville Super Regional with 10 home runs to his credit, as well as a .531 slugging percentage that is good for second on the team.
Graham has launched numerous key home runs, including one in Sunday's series-clinching win at Arkansas. He homered twice on Ole Miss' trip to LSU, one in each of the games won by the Rebels in Baton Rouge.
He enters the super regionals with five home runs in his last 17 games, including one in the SEC Tournament win over the Razorbacks and a pinch-hit homer in the NCAA Oxford Regional victory over Clemson.
Ole Miss has now had 22 Freshman All-Americans, including 10 in the last four seasons.
The No. 12 seed Rebels continue their Road to Omaha this weekend with a best-of-three series at No. 5 overall seed Arkansas.
- Nikhazy, Graham named Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-Americans
- Doug Nikhazy named First Team Freshman All-American
- Nikhazy selected for USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Camp
- Ole Miss' Nikhazy named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Pilkington, Price named Preseason All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball
- Caracci, Olenek named Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-Americans
- Four MSU players named Collegiate Baseball All-Americans
- Rebels' Nikhazy nabs second SEC Freshman of the Week honor
- Keenan, Jordan named Freshman All-Americans
- Collegiate Baseball tabs Woolfolk as Preseason All-American