STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – The All-America honors have started rolling in for Jake Mangum, as Perfect Game tabbed the senior a third-team All-American on Tuesday (Jan. 8). The outfielder has now appeared on both preseason All-America teams that have been released for the 2019 season.
In December, Mangum earned first-team All-America laurels from Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. He was the lone SEC position player selected to the first or second team squads by Collegiate Baseball.
In his career, Mangum owns a hit in 146 of 176 games started (82.9%) and has reached base in 159 of 176 games started (90.3%). The active career leader in hits among NCAA baseball student-athletes, Mangum enters the season with 275 career hits. With 154 career runs scored, Mangum sits No. 4 among returning student-athletes for the 2019 season, while his .356 batting average is No. 4 among returners in Division I with at least 400 at bats in their career.
On pace to end his career among the top 10 in a bevy of statistical categories, Mangum most notably will enter the 2019 season needing just 61 hits to move past Jeffrey Rea (335; 2004-07) as State’s all-time hits leader. Along those same lines, Mangum needs 77 hits to become the SEC’s career hits king, as he is chasing LSU’s Eddy Furniss (352; 1995-98) for the top spot in conference history. He can also become MSU’s all-time leader in games played with 56 appearances in 2019.
Mangum’s career accomplishments include a pair of first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors as a freshman and junior, as well as a second-team selection as a sophomore. He won the American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings Division I Gold Glove as a junior, also garnered SEC All-Defensive Team honors, and was tabbed to the ABCA/Rawlings All-Region second team. As a rookie, Mangum was the 2016 SEC Freshman of the Year and claimed the Ferriss Trophy, awarded to the top collegiate baseball player in the state of Mississippi.
The senior has also been drafted twice in his career, hearing his named called by the New York Mets (2018) and New York Yankees (2017) during his MSU career.
The Bulldogs open the 2019 season with a three-game series at Dudy Noble Field against Youngstown State on Feb. 15-17.
- Mississippi State’s Mangum tabbed All-American by Perfect Game
- Mangum, Pilkington named Perfect Game Preseason All-Americans
- Jordan, Mangum help Mississippi State force deciding game
- MSU’s Mangum, Small tabbed Golden Spikes Award semifinalists
- Mississippi State’s Mangum earns SEC Player of the Week
- MSU's Mangum wins Ferriss Trophy
- Caracci, Dillard, Mangum, Wallner named preseason All-Americans by D1Baseball
- Mississippi State women remain perfect in Cancun
- MSU’s Ginn tabbed National Freshman of the Year by Perfect Game
- Ole Miss’ Brown tabbed AP All-American