STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi State has added Penn State transfer quarterback Tommy Stevens to its football team.
The 6-foot-5, 240-pound Stevens was Trace McSorley's backup on the Nittany Lions. He has thrown for 304 yards and four touchdowns over 23 career games while also running for 506 yards and eight touchdowns.
Mississippi State confirmed Stevens' signing on Friday.
Stevens is a graduate transfer who has one season of eligibility remaining. He'll likely compete for the starting job against Keytaon Thompson, who was Nick Fitzgerald's backup last season.
Thompson played in nine games last season, throwing for 458 yards and six touchdowns.
Stevens will be reunited with Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead, who was the offensive coordinator at Penn State for two seasons before coming to Starkville in 2017.
- Mississippi State adds Penn State transfer QB Tommy Stevens
- Mississippi State names Tommy Stevens its starting QB
- Mississippi State turns to graduate transfer QB
- Brandon Bryant transferring from Mississippi State
- Penn State routs Mississippi State 75-60 to reach NIT final
- Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson to transfer
- Tide QB Jalen Hurts transferring to Oklahoma
- Schaefer adds transfer Sidney Cooks
- Hot topic: Mississippi State QB battle story of preseason
- Ole Miss, Mississippi State dealing with QB uncertainty