STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Mississippi State's Teaira McCowan has been named the SEC Player of the Week for the third time this season after averaging 20.0 points and 15.5 rebounds against Georgia and Auburn.
The Brenham, Texas, native has now been recognized by the conference office eight times in her career, including a freshman of the week selection in 2015-16. Her eighth award surpasses Victoria Vivians (2015-17) and LaToya Thomas (2000-03) for the most in MSU history.
McCowan recorded her 52nd career double-double on Thursday night against Georgia with 18 points and 21 rebounds. She was dominant on the offensive glass, picking up 13 offensive rebounds that she turned into 14 second-chance points. McCowan also blocked two shots and recorded a steal.
Last night in Auburn, she was 9-of-10 from the field and a perfect 4-of-4 at the free throw line for 22 points. She collected 10 rebounds for her 53rd double-double and blocked three shots without playing in the fourth quarter.
McCowan continues to lead the SEC in blocks per game (2.65), which is 14th in the nation. She leads the league in double-doubles (14), field goal percentage (67.6 percent) and rebounding (13.3 rpg).
The Bulldogs return to Humphrey Coliseum on Thursday night to host No. 21/20 South Carolina. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. CT on ESPN.
- McCowan earns eighth career SEC weekly honor
- Sweat, Calhoun earn SEC weekly honors
- Simmons, Jenkins earn SEC weekly honors
- MSU's Williams earns weekly SEC honor
- Three Rebels earn SEC weekly honors
- McCowan earns SEC Player of the Week honors
- McCowan earns second SEC Player of the Week honor
- Parker Caracci, Tyler Keenan earn SEC baseball weekly honors
- Vivians, McCowan earn WBCA All-American honors
- Peters shares weekly SEC basketball honors