STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – As the 2018 baseball season swiftly approaches, Mississippi State juniors Jake Mangum and Konnor Pilkington were named Preseason All-Americans by Perfect Game.
State’s Friday-night starting pitcher, Pilkington was named to the second team, while outfielder Jake Mangum was named to the third team. MSU is ranked No. 13 in Collegiate Baseball’s Preseason Poll with Perfect Game’s to be announced on Wednesday.
During his sophomore season in 2017, Pilkington posted a 3.08 ERA and an 8-5 record in a team-high 17 starts and 108.0 innings pitched. This summer, the Hurley, Miss. native pitched for the USA Collegiate National Team, where he collected a 2.65 ERA and held opponents to a .183 batting average in five appearances.
A 2017 MLB Draft pick this past June, Mangum elected to return to Starkville for another season as a Diamond Dawg. The 2016 Southeastern Conference Freshman of the year, Mangum received SEC All-Defensive Team and All-SEC Second Team honors following his junior season. Having notched 174 hits through his first two seasons, Mangum only trails Rafael Palmeiro (193) for the most hits in program history through the first two seasons of a career.
Fans can get a chance to meet Mangum, Pikington and the rest of the 2018 Diamond Dawgs at the Opening Night Banquet on January 13.
- Mangum, Pilkington named Perfect Game Preseason All-Americans
- Pilkington, Price named Preseason All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball
- Caracci, Dillard, Mangum, Wallner named preseason All-Americans by D1Baseball
- Mississippi State’s Mangum tabbed All-American by Perfect Game
- MSU's Konnor Pilkington receives fourth preseason All-America honor
- Mangum earns preseason honor from Collegiate Baseball News
- Pilkington signs with White Sox
- Tyler Keenan named Freshman All-American by Perfect Game
- Rolison named First Team Preseason All-American
- MSU's Mangum wins Ferriss Trophy