KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Mississippi State's Quinndary Weatherspoon continues to add to his collection of accolades as the senior guard secured National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 21 First-Team honors announced Wednesday.
Weatherspoon is the first MSU player to capture NABC All-District honors since Dee Bost during the 2011-12 season. He has already picked up an All-SEC First Team selection by the Associated Press and SEC coaches along with USBWA All-District First-Team nod. Weatherspoon also was awarded the Bailey Howell Trophy for the second consecutive season which is given to Mississippi’s top collegiate player.
The SEC’s active leading scorer has amassed 1,985 career points and is 15 points away from becoming the third player in program history to reach 2,000 points. The illustrious list includes Jeff Malone (1980-81-82-83) and Bailey Howell (1957-58-59). He has averaged a SEC-leading 19.4 points per game during conference play and dialed up eight of his 15 outings of 20-plus points in February and March.
For the season, Weatherspoon has recorded double figures in 30 of 33 games and 104 times in his career. His 15 games of 20 or more points is tied for second among SEC players. Mississippi State has won 27 of 31 games and notched a 19-2 record over the last two seasons when Weatherspoon eclipses the 20-point plateau.
The Bulldogs face Liberty in a 5-12 matchup during Friday’s NCAA Round of 64. Tip time is slated for 6:27 p.m. CT televised by tru TV and available online at www.NCAAsports.com in addition to the NCAA March Madness app.
- MSU's Weatherspoon Comes Away with NABC All-District First Team
- Rebels' Tyree named NABC All-District
- Tshisumpa signs with MSU, Nick Weatherspoon returning
- Weatherspoon named Second-Team All-SEC
- Weatherspoon brothers named to All-SEC teams
- Quinndary Weatherspoon's last-second 3 lifts MSU past JSU
- MSU's Nick Weatherspoon named SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Quinndary Weatherspoon lands on Jerry West Award watch list
- Mississippi State suspends Nick Weatherspoon
- Weatherspoon leads Mississippi State past Little Rock