STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) - For the second consecutive season, two Bulldogs were named to the Southeastern Conference All-Freshman Team as linebacker Erroll Thompson and kicker Jace Christmann were honored by the league’s coaches, the SEC announced Thursday.
Thompson is the fourth-consecutive Bulldog linebacker to earn the laurel, joining Leo Lewis (2016), Gerri Green (2015) and J.T. Gray (2014). Christmann is the first placekicker in program history to be honored as a member of the SEC All-Freshmen team.
Christmann took over MSU’s placekicking responsibilities against No. 11 LSU on Sept. 16, going 3-for-3 after connecting on 27-yard, 30-yard and 45-yard attempts to become the first Bulldog kicker to make three field goals in a game since Devon Bell against South Alabama on Sept. 22, 2013. His 45-yard attempt was the longest of the season by MSU and the longest by a Bulldog since Westin Graves booted a 47-yarder against Alabama on Nov. 12, 2016.
The Houston, Texas, native closed the season ranked second in the league after going 11-of-12 on field goal attempts for a 91.4 percentage, which leads all SEC freshmen. Christmann connected on nine of his first 10 attempts, the best start by an MSU kicker since Graves opened the 2015 season going 9-of-10. Christmann was a perfect 38-of-38 in PAT attempts over the regular season, which ranks fifth in MSU single-season history.
Thompson, a native of Florence, Ala., collected 44 tackles on the season to lead all SEC freshman. He added 4.0 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks on the year. He also added a force fumble defensively. Thompson turned in five performances of five tackles or better, including a career-high eight against Kentucky on Oct. 21, 2017. He closed the regular season with five tackles and a career-high 1.5 sacks for a loss of 13 yards in the Egg Bowl on Nov. 23.
The Bulldogs return to action on Saturday, Dec. 30 as MSU battle Louisville in the TaxSlayer Bowl. The 11 a.m. CT kickoff at Everbank Field in Jacksonville, Fla., will be televised by ESPN.
- MSU's Thompson, Christmann named to SEC All-Freshman Team
- MSU kicker Jace Christmann arrested
- MSU kicker Jace Christmann named Football Writers Association freshman All-American
- MSU's Nick Weatherspoon named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Davidson named SEC Freshman of the Year
- MSU's Reggie Perry nabs SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Perry collects second SEC Freshman of the Week award
- MSU soccer's Mauldin, McGillivary named to All-SEC teams
- Simpson named MSU Football's 2019 SEC Legend