STARKVILLE, Miss. (Hail State) – After striking out 11 in his collegiate debut, redshirt-freshman Christian MacLeod earned his first weekly award from the Southeastern Conference. The left-handed pitcher was tabbed as the SEC Co-Freshman of the Week following an opening-weekend victory over Wright State.
After missing the 2019 season due to illness, MacLeod made the most of his long-awaited first appearance. In five innings of work against the Raiders, the Huntsville, Alabama, native allowed one hit, walked one and saw one batter reach via error. He didn’t allow multiple base runners in an inning and totaled 11 strikeouts in the start. He finished the game strong, as he struck out the final five batters he faced.
MacLeod became the 10th Diamond Dawg all-time to win the SEC Freshman of the Week Award, joining teammates Tanner Allen (1; 2018) and JT Ginn (2; 2019). Since the award was first handed out in 2007, 10 Bulldogs have earned 13 total honors. He shared the honor with Alabama outfielder Owen Diodati.
Mississippi State (3-0) will continue its nine-game homestand to start 2020 with a midweek tilt versus Samford (3-0) on Tuesday, February 18 at 4 p.m. The Diamond Dawgs then welcome Oregon State (2-1) for a three-game series at Dudy Noble Field from Friday, February 21-Sunday, February 23.
- MSU's MacLeod named SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Nick Weatherspoon named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Thompson, Christmann named to SEC All-Freshman Team
- MSU's Reggie Perry nabs SEC Freshman of the Week
- MSU's Perry collects second SEC Freshman of the Week award
- SEC honors MSU's Aliyah Matharu as Freshman of the Week
- Davidson named SEC Freshman of the Year
- MSU baseball’s Ginn named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week again