NEW YORK (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Mississippi State senior tight end Farrod Green was named to the watch list for the 2019 John Mackey award, the Friends of John Mackey announced Friday.
The John Mackey Award is given annually to the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Sixty total players were named to the list. Green is one of eight Southeastern Conference tight ends to make the cut.
A hard-nose tight end and punishing blocker, Green is coming off a junior season where he had 11 receptions for 81 yards. The Wesson, Mississippi, native caught at least one pass in nine different games for the Bulldogs with five of his catches moving the chains for a first down. His physical ability has made him a key blocker in numerous touchdown runs for the Bulldogs and has made him vital to MSU’s success on special teams.
The veteran tight end has seen action in 38 games with 21 starts to his credit. He enters his senior season with 31 career receptions for 376 yards and a touchdown.
The award recipient is selected by vote of the John Mackey Award Selection Committee. The 2019 Mackey Award recipient will be announced on Dec. 11 and then presented live on Dec. 12 at The Home Depot College Football Awards Red Carpet Show on ESPNU.
- MSU's Green named candidate for Mackey Award
- Ole Miss’ Cooley named to Mackey Award watch list
- MSU’s Simmons, Sweat named Bednarik Award semifinalists
- Darryl Williams named candidate for Senior CLASS Award
- Marve named MSU linebackers coach
- MSU tandem tabbed as Nagurski Trophy candidates
- Shoop named Broyles Award semifinalist
- Darty named MSU head volleyball coach
- Joey Jones named MSU special teams coordinator
- MSU's Anderson Peters named Bowerman semifinalist