STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) - Reigning SEC champion and back-to-back National Finalist Mississippi State will travel to Texas as part of the 2018 SEC/Big 12 Challenge, the two league offices announced on Monday.
The teams will face off at the Frank Erwin Center on Sun., Dec. 2. Time and television availability will be announced at a later date.
The contest will be the third between the teams in the last four years. Vic Schaefer's squad won the last meeting 79-68 in Starkville in 2016 to even the overall series record at two wins apiece.
This year's game comes three years to the day of the last time the teams met in Austin, a 2015 tilt the Longhorns won 53-47.
Schaefer's Bulldogs are coming off a program-record 37-2 campaign in 2017-18. State recorded the second-longest win streak in SEC history (32-straight wins) and put together a perfect 16-0 league mark en route to claiming the program's first SEC title and a second-straight appearance in the national championship game.
Texas finished last season 28-7 and advanced to the Kansas City Regional semifinals, where they fell to a UCLA squad that MSU defeated to earn a return trip to the Final Four.
The remainder of the 2018-19 schedule will be announced at a later date.
- MSU women to face Texas in 2018 SEC/Big 12 Challenge
- Ole Miss women to host TCU as part of 2018 SEC/Big 12 challenge
- MSU's Fitzgerald honored by SEC following win over Texas A&M
- MSU women back in SEC title game after 70-55 win over Texas A&M
- MSU's Poe honored by SEC
- MSU women picked to finish 2nd in SEC basketball play
- MSU women open SEC play with road win at Georgia
- MSU women defeat Kentucky to advance in SEC Tournament
- MSU women predicted to win SEC basketball championship
- SEC announces MSU women’s basketball conference slate