CLINTON, Miss. (WTVA/NEMCC Athletics) - Northeast Mississippi Community College defeated Southwest Mississippi Community College 64-60 in round one of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region 23 Tournament on Wednesday at A.E. Wood Coliseum.
The Lady Tigers (18-8) advance to face 5th-ranked Jones County Junior College in Thursday's semifinal round. Tipoff for this battle of division champions is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. from the campus of Mississippi College.
These two teams competed in a spirited battle for the second season in a row in this competition. The lead was exchanged 11 times and the game was tied on seven other occasions.
Aundrea Adams and Cherelle Jones both recorded double-doubles to top Northeast. Adams had 16 points and a game-high 14 rebounds while Jones contributed 16 points and 11 boards.
The Lady Tigers' guards did a good job of finding the post players & racked up 17 assists on 24 field goals. Dayzsha Rogan and Adallice Young both reached double figures as well with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Danyelle Lewis led the Lady Bears (18-7) with 15 points while Peyton Papenburg added 13 points and Rachel Thompson posted 10 points.
Northeast held a plus-nine rebounding margin and shot 34.8 percent from the floor. The Lady Tigers were clutch at the free throw line late by making 10 of their final 13 attempts.
- Lady Tigers join Northeast men in region tournament semifinals
- Northeast basketball teams eliminated from Region Tournament
- Lady Tigers down Hinds to advance to state semifinals
- Tigers advance to region semifinals with win over Bears
- Lady Rebels fall to LSU Tigers
- Lady Bulldogs hold off upset-minded Tigers
- Northeast women, ICC men win
- Northeast reinstates men's golf program
- Northeast bows out of MACJC State Tournament
- Tigers down Co-Lin to advance to state semifinals