STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Just two days after he was named a national player of the year candidate, Mississippi State junior running back Kylin Hill has garnered more national attention.
Hill was named to the preseason watch list for the Doak Walker Award on Wednesday, the PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced. He is one of 72 players from across the country named to the watch list for the award, which is given annually to the nation’s top running back. The list includes 10 other SEC running backs.
On Monday, Hill made the watch list for the 83rd annual Maxwell Award, given to America's College Player of the Year.
As a sophomore in 2018, Hill rushed for 734 yards and four touchdowns on 117 attempts. The elusive, bruising running back started all 11 games he played in, and his top performance came in a road win at Kansas State, where he ran for 211 yards and accounted for three scores to earn the SEC’s Offensive Player of the Week honor.
The Columbus, Mississippi, native also recorded 100-yard rushing games in victories against No. 8 Auburn (126) and Ole Miss (108). He averaged 6.3 yards per carry, which ranked sixth in the SEC.
The 10 semifinalists will be named in November and the three finalists will be named Nov. 20. The 2019 Doak Walker Award winner will be announced during The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN on Dec. 12.
- Kylin Hill makes Doak Walker Award list
- MSU's Williams tabbed to Doak Walker Award Watch List
- Ole Miss’ Phillips selected to watch list for Doak Walker Award
- Kylin Hill named candidate for National Player of the Year
- MSU's Kylin Hill honored for stellar performance in Arkansas win
- Christmann selected to Groza Award watch list
- Ta'amu added to Manning Award watch list
- Rivers on Ted Hendricks Award watch list
- ICC's Foster, Walker sign with MUW
- Jeffery Simmons named to Bednarik Award watch list