OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – Ole Miss head men's basketball coach Kermit Davis announced that Jarkel Joiner will join the Rebels for the upcoming season. A native of Oxford, Mississippi, Joiner returns to his hometown after spending the past two years at CSU Bakersfield.
“We are so happy to welcome Jarkel to our Ole Miss Basketball family,” Davis said. “Jarkel was one of the most prolific scorers in our state’s history at Oxford High School. He comes from a terrific family and played for one of the very best high school coaches in Mississippi in Drew Tyler. Jarkel had an outstanding two years at CSU Bakersfield playing for another fantastic coach in Rod Barnes. When you can average over 18 points in conference play in the WAC and be named first team all-conference as a sophomore, that’s quite an accomplishment in Division I basketball.”
In two seasons at CSU Bakersfield, playing under former Ole Miss head coach Rod Barnes, Joiner appeared in 64 games (61 starts) and averaged 13.2 ppg. As a sophomore, he led the team in scoring at 15.6 ppg while shooing at a 45.1 percent clip. His 532 points and 208 made field goals were new single-season records at CSUB. Joiner also became the first Roadrunner to lead the Western Athletic Conference in scoring (18.6) during league play on his way to a First Team All-WAC selection. He also collected NABC First Team All-District honors. Joiner’s biggest game of the year was a 34-point output against California Baptist (Jan. 24) that also produced a new school record. As a freshman, Joiner averaged 10.4 ppg over 30 contests. Shooting an impressive 89.6 percent (69 of 77) from the free throw line, he led the WAC and set a CSUB school record that season.
Before continuing his basketball career out west, Joiner was a star at Oxford High School. During his senior season, he ranked fourth nationally in scoring (36.5 ppg). Joiner was named the 2017 Mississippi Boys Basketball Player of the Year by the Daily Journal, while helping lead the Chargers to the state semifinals.
“Jarkel will sit out this season, practice with our team and be on scholarship the following two seasons,” Davis said. “Welcome home, Jarkel! Hotty Toddy!”
- Joiner officially joins Ole Miss basketball
- Joiner commits to Ole Miss basketball
- Ole Miss basketball's Jarkel Joiner playing in local summer basketball league
- Meridian's Miller to join Ole Miss basketball
- UPDATE: Clark joins Ole Miss football staff
- Ole Miss officially names Kermit Davis as men's basketball coach
- Ole Miss names new women's basketball coach
- Dana Rieger joins Ole Miss women's basketball staff as director of operations
- Draine honored by C-USA; Joiner honored by WAC
- Ole Miss golfer Thornberry joins North Mississippi Classic field