ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP) — Derrick Ponder passed for 194 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and Adrian Salazar kicked the game-winning field goal in overtime as Jackson State rallied past Mississippi Valley State 31-28 on Saturday.
Elvia Payton broke up a third-down pass in overtime, forcing the Delta Devils to try a 44-yard field goal, which missed.
Salazar lined up the winner from 34 yards.
Jackson State (2-5, 1-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference) fell into a hole as MVSU (1-6, 0-3) scored 21 unanswered points to open the game.
Ponder threw a 19-yard TD to DD Bowie to get the Tigers on the board just before halftime and start a 28-0 run.
Freshman Kymari Clarke's 7-yard TD run gave the Tigers a 28-21 lead with 1:21 remaining in the fourth quarter. Dejerric Bryant sent the game into OT when his 7-yard touchdown run knotted the score at 28-28 with 28 seconds left in regulation.
Clarke led all rushers with 171 yards on 20 carries.
- JSU rallies past Valley
- Quinndary Weatherspoon's last-second 3 lifts MSU past JSU
- Tennessee rallies past Kentucky 82-78
- MSU downs JSU for first win of season
- No. 7 Mississippi State rallies past Georgia
- Late rally lifts South Carolina past Ole Miss 48-44
- Tyree scores 22, Ole Miss rallies past Texas A&M
- Rebels cruise past Islanders 85-63
- Stevens leads MSU past Louisiana
- MSU rallies to defeat Memphis