EUNICE, La. (WTVA/ICC Athletics) - The ICC baseball team won its first game of the NJCAA Region 23 Tournament 4-3 over No. 14 Meridian in dramatic fashion Wednesday.
Russell Bunch (Saltillo) lifted a fly ball deep enough to right field to score Kyle Weaver (Courtland) to give the Indians (33-15) a one-run lead in the top of the ninth.
Weaver entered to run for Drew Thomas (Nesbit) after he was hit by a pitch. He advanced to third on a pair of passed balls setting the table for Bunch’s late-game heroics.
Kyle Crigger (Corinth) replaced Houston Harding (Walls) on the hill in the bottom half of the inning. The Corinth native got back-to-back strikeouts to pick up his fifth save of the season to put the Indians in the winner’s bracket of the tournament.
Harding (9-3) gave up three runs on five in eight innings of work with the heat index surpassing the century mark.
The Indians will face No. 1 LSU-Eunice (51-5) at 6:00 p.m. Thursday.
- ICC baseball wins Regional opener against Meridian
- ICC baseball wins MACJC Championship
- ICC announces 2018 baseball schedule
- ICC releases 2019 baseball schedule
- Northeast women, ICC men win
- Five ICC baseball players earn postseason honors
- Meridian's Miller to join Ole Miss basketball
- Five ICC softball players earn All-Region honors
- ICC's Applewhite earns ITA/Arthur Ashe regional award
- ICC opens basketball season Thursday in Fulton