STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - Anriel Howard had 21 points and 12 rebounds, Chloe Bibby added 18 points and seventh-ranked Mississippi State beat No. 16 Kentucky 86-71 on Sunday.
Howard production was crucial because the team's other starting forward -- 6-foot-7 senior All-American Teaira McCowan -- spent much of the game in foul trouble. McCowan picked up her fourth foul with 5:40 left in the third quarter and Howard made several important baskets to keep Kentucky's deficit in the double digits.
Mississippi State (14-1, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) has won four straight. Kentucky (14-2, 1-1) had its five-game winning streak snapped.
The Bulldogs' Jordan Danberry added 17 points. McCowan had 13 points and 10 rebounds. Jazzmun Holmes had six steals.
Mississippi State jumped out to a 26-11 lead in the first quarter, largely thanks to Howard's 11 points and five rebounds. The 5-foot-11 senior has been a difficult defensive matchup for opponents all year because she's often too strong to be defended by guards but too fast to be stopped by forwards on the perimeter.
Mississippi State led 41-27 at halftime.
Kentucky was led by Maci Morris, who scored 20 points. Rhyne Howard added 15.
- Howard leads Mississippi State women past Kentucky 86-71
- Snell leads Kentucky past Mississippi State
- Howard leads No. 6 Mississippi State past Lamar
- Strong second half leads Mississippi State women past Little Rock
- Weatherspoon leads Mississippi State past Little Rock
- McCowan leads Mississippi State past South Carolina
- Hill leads Mississippi State to win over Kentucky
- Bibby, Jackson lead No. 15 Mississippi St women past USF
- 18-run performance propels State past Kentucky
- Offense leads Mississippi State baseball past Jackson State