HATLEY, Miss. (WTVA) - Hatley High School's Avery Benson and Matt Swan signed with Freed-Hardeman University's baseball program on Wednesday.
Benson, a catcher, is hitting .485 this season with four home runs and 35 RBI. Swan, who plays first base and third base, is hitting .426 with seven homers and 24 RBI.
"It's really exciting," Benson said. "I've been dreaming about playing college baseball my whole life, and finally get the opportunity, and especially to play with one of my best friends is a great feeling."
"He's been very beneficial to me," Swan said of Benson. "He's always been there for me, and I've always been there for him, it's just a great relationship."
"There's a tremendous upside for both, and they're going to continue to get better, and I think Freed is definitely gonna benefit from these two young men, for sure," said Hatley head baseball coach John Harris.
Freed-Hardeman, located in Henderson, Tenn., played for the NAIA national championship last season.
- Hatley's Benson, Swan sign with Freed-Hardeman baseball
- BMC falls in opener to Freed-Hardeman
- Two-A-Days: Hatley, Smithville
- Hatley's Taylor Andrews signs with MDCC women's basketball program
- Hatley seeks to take next step
- Hatley 7/8U All-Stars qualify for Dixie Youth Baseball World Series
- Saints, Pelicans owner Tom Benson dies at age 90
- Vardaman's Spencer signs with Blue Mountain baseball
- Myrtle's Bishop signs with BMC baseball
- Ingomar's Zach Koon signs with BMC baseball