ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - No. 14 Michigan will start quarterback Shea Patterson in the season opener at No. 12 Notre Dame.
Coach Jim Harbaugh made the announcement Monday. He had earlier said Patterson was simply one of four quarterbacks competing to take the first snap, along with Brandon Peters, Dylan McCaffrey and Joe Milton.
Most expected the decision to start the experienced Patterson, who appealed to the NCAA to play this season after transferring from Mississippi. He threw for 3,000-plus yards with 23 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over 10 starts at Ole Miss.
Peters started four games last season with uneven results. McCaffrey, a redshirt freshman, and Milton, a true freshman, haven’t taken a snap in college.
- Harbaugh: Patterson will start at QB for Michigan vs Irish
- Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson to transfer
- Patterson leads Ole Miss over Vanderbilt 57-35
- Ole Miss' Patterson, Haynes honored by SEC
- Patterson to miss rookie season with Colts
- Trio vying for starting QB position at ICC
- Malzahn says top camp priority is starting QB
- Mississippi State names Tommy Stevens its starting QB
- QB Garrett Shrader breaks MSU record in first start
- Maurer will start at QB for Tennessee against MSU