JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA/MS Sports Hall of Fame) - The five finalists for the 2018 C Spire Ferriss Trophy which goes to the most outstanding college baseball player in the state were announced Monday.
The University of Southern Mississippi is the only school with two finalists, landing both pitcher Nick Sandlin and infielder Luke Reynolds in the top five. Joining the two Golden Eagles are Delta State star first baseman Zack Shannon, Mississippi State outfielder Jake Mangum and Ole Miss outfielder/infielder Ryan Olenek.
These five players and their coaches will be invited to a luncheon banquet held at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame on Monday, May 21. This is the 15th Annual Ferriss Trophy presentation and is named after Boo Ferriss, who starred for the Boston Red Sox prior to a long career as baseball coach at Delta State University.
“This year may be the toughest choices in the history of the event,” said Hall of Fame Executive Director Bill Blackwell. “With so many schools ranked nationally at all levels you know there must be great players throughout the state.”
Fans can help select the winner of the prestigious award by voting at www.csopavoting.com beginning at 5pm Monday and continuing through noon on Saturday, May 19.
Tickets for the luncheon are on sale now online or at their offices located at 1152 Lakeland Drive in Jackson. Tables, half tables and individual tickets are available for the event that begins at 11:30. Mississippi Sports Hall of Famer, Jay Powell will be guest speaker at the event.
- Ferriss Trophy finalists announced
- Rebs, Dogs among Ferriss Trophy finalists
- MSU's Mangum wins Ferriss Trophy
- USM's Sandlin wins 2018 Ferriss Trophy
- Five Bulldogs finalists for Howell, Gillom Trophies
- Howell, Gillom Award finalists announced
- Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown named finalist for Conerly Trophy
- Sweat earns SEC honors again, Fitzgerald named Conerly Trophy finalist
- Rebels' Brown, MSU's Simmons among Conerly Trophy finalists
- Plumlee tabbed as finalist for 2019 C Spire Conerly Trophy