SCOOBA, Miss. (WTVA/EMCC Athletics) – A day after earning statewide honors, East Mississippi Community College sophomore guard Tyeisha Juhan has now reeled in national accolades as the NJCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for her pair of standout performances a week ago for the Lions.
Having collected Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) Player of the Week honors twice during each of her two EMCC seasons, Juhan becomes the first women’s basketball player from a Mississippi-based junior college this season to claim National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Player of the Week recognition.
An MACJC All-State First Team performer last year as a freshman, Juhan averaged 27.5 points and 11.0 rebounds last week, while shooting 54 percent (22-41 FGs) from the field and 56 percent (9-16 treys) from the three-point arc, in helping lead head coach Sharon Thompson’s EMCC Lions to victories over East Central and Coahoma.
The Jonesboro, Georgia product opened last week by pouring in a career-high 35 points on 14-of-21 shooting from the field, including 7-of-10 accuracy from three-point range, while adding 10 rebounds and three assists during EMCC’s 72-65 road win over previously unbeaten East Central. She then recorded her third double-double of the season and eighth of her collegiate career with 20 points, 12 rebounds and three steals in the Lions’ 90-63 home victory over Coahoma.
For the season, Juhan currently ranks 13th nationally and second among the MACJC’s scoring leaders at 20.4 points per game. In addition to ranking second in steals (2.9 spg) within the conference, she also averages a team-best 7.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists an outing on the year.
The East Mississippi basketball teams return to the hardwood on Saturday for a rescheduled MACJC North Division home doubleheader against the Tigers of Northeast Mississippi Community College. A 1 p.m. women’s game will be followed by a 3 p.m. men’s contest at EMCC’s Keyes T. Currie Coliseum on the Scooba campus.
- EMCC’s Juhan tabbed NJCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
- EMCC wins fourth NJCAA National Championship
- EMCC’s Vijay Miller tabbed MACJC Offensive Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Upshaw, Crabtree earn NJCAA All-America football honors
- Four-time national champion EMCC tops NJCAA preseason poll
- EMCC guard selected MACJC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Scott, Upshaw garner MACJC Player of the Week honors
- EMCC’s Josh Miller named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Everitt Cunningham selected MACJC Defensive Player of the Week
- Nicholson named EMCC assistant softball coach