SCOOBA, Miss. (WTVA/EMCC Athletics) – East Mississippi Community College’s Josh Miller has been named the MACJC’s Special Teams Player of the Week for his efforts during the top-ranked Lions’ 24-21 road victory over 20th-ranked East Central Community College last Thursday in Decatur.
Miller, a sophomore defensive back, returned a blocked punt for a 34-yard touchdown in addition to blocking a potential go-ahead point-after-touchdown attempt late in the game against ECCC. Miller was also credited with seven total tackles combined between his free safety and special teams play.
With 3:51 left to play after East Central tied the game at 21-21 with a touchdown, Miller blocked the ensuing PAT attempt to provide the momentum heading into the Lions’ late-game drive that resulted in Josh Smith’s game-winning field goal with four seconds left. Earlier in the game, the West Marion High School product helped give EMCC a 14-6 lead when he scooped and scored from 34 yards out following Adrian Miller’s blocked punt.
Coach Buddy Stephens’ reigning national champion EMCC Lions (5-0, 2-0 MACJC North) travel to Senatobia to take on the second-ranked Rangers of Northwest Mississippi (5-0, 2-0 MACJC North) during Thursday’s much-anticipated rematch of the last two MACJC state championship games won by East Mississippi. Kickoff at Bobby Franklin Field is set for 6:30 p.m. on the NWCC campus.
- EMCC’s Josh Miller named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
- Miller named MACJC Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Vijay Miller tabbed MACJC Offensive Player of the Week
- Buford named MACJC Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Scott, Upshaw garner MACJC Player of the Week honors
- EMCC guard selected MACJC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Everitt Cunningham selected MACJC Defensive Player of the Week
- ICC's Little named MACJC men's soccer player of the week
- ICC's Heard named MACJC Defensive Player of the Week
- ICC midfielder named MACJC Player of the Week