Perkinston, Miss. (WTVA/NJCAA) - East Mississippi outlasted Arizona Western 31-28 to capture the 2017 NJCAA National Championship in the Mississippi Bowl. The title is the fourth for the No. 1 ranked Lions all since 2011.
Arizona Western, playing in its second consecutive NJCAA title game battled back from a 28-14 deficit to bring the game within three after Bryce Perkins tossed a touchdown to Dominick Anderson, his second of the game with 1:54 to play.
East Mississippi recovered the ensuing onside kick and managed the clock to secure their first title since 2014.
East Mississippi’s Lindsey Scott Jr. was tabbed Offensive MVP and was also named the Mississippi Bowl Committee Player of the Year following the win. Ty’Ree Evans was named Defensive MVP for the Lions.
- EMCC wins fourth NJCAA National Championship
- Four-time national champion EMCC tops NJCAA preseason poll
- EMCC’s Upshaw, Crabtree earn NJCAA All-America football honors
- BMC archer wins national championship
- EMCC’s Juhan tabbed NJCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
- Area softball team wins national championship
- Northwest's Brant Blaylock chosen for NJCAA National Team roster
- NEMCC's Childers accepts invitation to play for NJCAA National Team
- EMCC's Tristan Martin wins College National Finals Rodeo steer wrestling title
- Thornberry Qualifies for National Championship