SCOOBA, Miss. (WTVA/EMCC Athletics) – East Mississippi Community College freshman guard Cam Horton has earned MACJC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week honors on the heels of last week’s pair of standout performances for the Lions.
From Jacksonville, Ala., Horton averaged 26.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 steals, along with shooting 70 percent (19-27 FGs) from the field and 64 percent (7-11 treys) from three-point range, during EMCC’s 1-1 week. He began last week with a career-high 36 points at Mississippi Delta by hitting a sizzling 14-of-19 (74%) shots from the field, including 4-of-8 (50%) from beyond the three-point arc, along with three steals and two assists against the Trojans. Horton then followed with a team-high 17 points on 5-of-8 field goals (3-3 treys) and 4-of-5 free throws, while adding five rebounds and three assists, in the Lions’ 78-51 victory at Itawamba last Thursday.
A two-time all-state prep performer at Jacksonville High School in Alabama, Horton is currently averaging a team-high 13.3 points per game on the season for head coach Billy Begley’s EMCC Lions to go along with his 2.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists an outing. For the year, Horton is also connecting on 43 percent from the field, 39 percent from the arc and 77 percent from the line.
Horton and this week’s MACJC women’s recipient Nique Cherry of Jones County are now nominated for national awards from the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA).
The East Mississippi men’s and women’s basketball teams will play host to the divisional co-leading Northwest Mississippi Rangers in an MACJC North Division hoops doubleheader Thursday evening on the Scooba campus. A 5:30 p.m. women’s game will be followed by a 7:30 p.m. men’s contest at EMCC’s Keyes T. Currie Coliseum.
- EMCC guard selected MACJC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Everitt Cunningham selected MACJC Defensive Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Scott, Upshaw garner MACJC Player of the Week honors
- EMCC’s Vijay Miller tabbed MACJC Offensive Player of the Week
- EMCC’s Josh Miller named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
- ICC's Little named MACJC men's soccer player of the week
- Buford named MACJC Women's Basketball Player of the Week
- Buford named MACJC Player of the Week
- Miller named MACJC Player of the Week
- Trio of ICC women's basketball players named MACJC All-Stars