CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – Ole Miss baseball freshman left-hander Doug Nikhazy emerged as one of the top freshman arms in college baseball this season, and Thursday he earned his second All-American nod of the season.
The rookie out of Windermere, Florida, was selected to Perfect Game's Freshman All-American First Team. Previously, Nikhazy was named Freshman All-SEC by the Southeastern Conference coaches, as well as a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball. During the season, Nikhazy also brought home two SEC Freshman of the Week honors during conference play.
He opened the season working primarily out of the bullpen but moved into a weekend starting role around the start of SEC play. In his first SEC start, Nikhazy took a no-hitter into the seventh inning at Missouri and ultimately turned in 7.2 innings of two-hit ball, combining on one of four shutouts by the Rebel staff this season.
Nikhazy also combined with Parker Caracci on the fourth Rebel shutout of 2019 against Texas A&M during the SEC Tournament. In an elimination game, Nikhazy outdueled Aggie ace John Doxakis, going eight innings with no runs allowed on just three hits, walking four and striking out two in a 1-0 Rebel victory.
He was outstanding in the NCAA Oxford Regional as well, silencing a dangerous Clemson lineup. Nikhazy went 8+ innings, allowing just one run on four hits, walking three and striking out nine. He got into some hot water in the eighth inning but struck out the Tigers' top bat, Logan Davidson, who was selected in the first round of the MLB Draft just two days later.
Nikhazy capped one of the best seasons by a freshman pitcher in Ole Miss history with an excellent outing against a dangerous Arkansas lineup in the Fayetteville Super Regional. He went five innings at Baum-Walker Stadium, striking out eight Razorbacks to earn a win in Game 2 of the series. In the victory, he increased his season-long strikeout total to 86, the most ever by a Rebel freshman, surpassing the mark held by two future MLB Rebels, Jeff Calhoun (1977) and Drew Pomeranz (2008).
- Doug Nikhazy named First Team Freshman All-American
- Nikhazy, Graham named Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-Americans
- Ole Miss' Nikhazy named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Doug Nikhazy earns two more freshnam All-America honors
- Rebels' Nikhazy nabs second SEC Freshman of the Week honor
- Keenan, Jordan named Freshman All-Americans
- Nikhazy selected for USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Camp
- Ole Miss' Jordan Fowler named NCBWA Freshman All-American
- Tyler Keenan named Freshman All-American by Perfect Game
- Ealy named to midseason list for FWAA Freshman All-American Team