OKLAHOMA CITY (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Off the heels of being tabbed to the All-Southeastern Conference First Team, Mississippi State catcher Mia Davidson adds a national honor to her resume as she was selected as one of 10 finalists for USA Softball’s 2019 Collegiate Player of the Year award, the organization announced Wednesday.
The USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award, which is entering its 18th season, recognizes outstanding athletic achievement by Division I female collegiate softball players across the country.
Davidson is the lone sophomore named a finalist for the award and is one of four student-athletes representing the SEC as a finalist. The Hillsborough, North Carolina, native is just the third Bulldog to make the top 10 cut for the honor, joining All-Americans Chelsea Bramlett (2010) and Iyhia McMichael (2003, 2004).
A two-time First Team All-SEC honoree, Davidson is turning in one of the most impressive slugging performances in conference history. She leads the SEC in home runs (25) and total bases (142). Davidson enters this week’s SEC Tournament as the Division I leader in home runs.
Her 25 home runs have set a new Mississippi State sophomore record and single-season record. The mark has tied Georgia's Alex Hugo (2014) and Alabama's Kelly Kretschman (1998) for the SEC's single-season record.
Heading into the postseason, Davidson ranks second in the conference with 61 RBI, becoming just the third Bulldog to record 60 RBI over a single season, and slugging percentage (.940). The Bulldog leader at the plate, Davidson also holds team highs in batting average (.386), on-base percentage (.490), runs scored (49), hits (59), doubles (8) and walks (22). Davidson is the lone player in the SEC to record at least 60 RBI, 55 hits and 45 runs scored this season.
Behind the dish, Davidson is lethal with four pick offs and 11 runners caught stealing over her sophomore season. She holds a .981 fielding percentage, committing just six errors, coupled with 275 putouts and 32 assists.
The top three finalists for the award will be announced on May 22. The 2019 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be revealed May 28.
- Davidson selected as finalist for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year
- Nikhazy selected for USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Camp
- Davidson selected top 10 finalist for NFCA Freshman of the Year
- Shoop selected as Broyles Award finalist
- Parker Caracci named to USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
- Leilua, Davidson selected to NFCA All-America Teams
- Four MSU players named Collegiate Baseball All-Americans
- Ole Miss' Kylan Becker selected to USA Softball Japan All-Star Series roster
- Perry tabbed finalist for USA U19 World Cup roster
- Davidson named SEC Freshman of the Year