TUCSON, Ariz. (Ole Miss Atheltics/WTVA) - After outstanding 2018 campaigns, Parker Caracci and Ryan Olenek are already receiving recognition heading into 2019, earning spots on Collegiate Baseball's Preseason All-American teams.
Caracci was selected to the publication's second team, while Olenek earned a third-team nod, each adding to long lists of honors from throughout their Rebel careers.
Caracci was listed as the top reliever on the second team after earning three All-American nods at the conclusion of the 2018 season. He was tabbed a second-team All-American by Baseball America and D1Baseball and was an honorable mention by Perfect Game after a breakout redshirt-sophomore campaign. He was also named second-team All-SEC and was a midseason All-American, in addition to an SEC Pitcher of the Week nod on April 2.
The junior out of Jackson, Mississippi, was selected in the 37th Round of the 2018 MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays, but he elected to return to Oxford for 2019. He totaled 10 saves last year, tying him for the seventh-most in a single season in program history. Caracci also amassed 73 strikeouts in 48.0 innings pitched, compared to just 14 walks for a 5.2 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He allowed just 38 hits and maintained a 2.25 ERA.
The outstanding season earned Caracci a spot on the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team for the summer, where he posted a perfect 0.00 ERA in 9.2 innings of action, compiling a pair of saves and a .094 opposing batting average.
Olenek earned his spot on the preseason All-American roster after being named to the All-SEC First Team in 2018. Olenek was also a finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, given to the best collegiate baseball player in the state of Mississippi. At season's end, Olenek was selected in the 17th Round of the 2018 MLB Draft by the San Francisco Giants, but he chose to return for his senior season in red and blue.
The senior out of Winter Park, Florida, finished with a .350 batting average, tying for a team-high 18 doubles. His season was highlighted by a 23-game hitting streak, tying him for the third-longest in program history. He needs 20 more doubles to match the school's all-time career mark of 60, set by Rebel great Brad Henderson. A likely four-year starter, Olenek is also 257 at-bats shy of the all-time record.
- Caracci, Olenek named Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-Americans
- Parker Caracci named to USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
- Pilkington, Price named Preseason All-Americans by Collegiate Baseball
- Parker Caracci named preseason first team All-American
- Caracci, Dillard, Mangum, Wallner named preseason All-Americans by D1Baseball
- Collegiate Baseball tabs Woolfolk as Preseason All-American
- Parker Caracci named Second Team All-American by Baseball America
- Four MSU players named Collegiate Baseball All-Americans
- Nikhazy, Graham named Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-Americans
- Wallner, Ginn, Caracci earn preseason All-American honors from Baseball America