STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - Quinndary Weatherspoon scored 27 points, Lamar Peters added 16 points and 10 assists, and No. 22 Mississippi State pulled away to beat No. 16 Auburn 92-84 on Saturday night.
Auburn and Mississippi State (15-4, 3-3 Southeastern Conference) were locked in a tight game for much of the second half before Mississippi State broke a 70-70 tie with Weatherspoon's 3-pointer and Reggie Perry's dunk in quick succession.
An irate Auburn coach Bruce Pearl then was called for a technical foul after arguing with officials and Weatherspoon hit two free throws to give the Bulldogs a 77-70 lead with 7:13 left.
The 6-foot-4 Weatherspoon tied a season high in points and finished 6 of 9 from the field and 11 of 11 on free throws.
Auburn (13-6, 2-4) has lost three straight. The Tigers shot 53 percent from the field and were led by Bryce Brown's 18 points, but were hurt by 19 turnovers.
Mississippi State took a 47-45 halftime lead after making 10 3-pointers in the first half. Auburn stayed close thanks to a 14-of-14 performance on free throws. Peters had 12 points for the Bulldogs before the break while Auburn's Jared Harper and Brown both scored nine.
- Three-point barrage lifts Mississippi State past Auburn 92-84
- Three-Point barrage catapults Mississippi State past Clemson 82-71
- McCowan powers Mississippi State women past Auburn 85-59
- Weatherspoon's late free throw lifts Mississippi State past Georgia
- MacNamee's homer lifts MSU past Florida State
- Auburn rallies to upend Mississippi State 76-68
- Weatherspoon leads Mississippi State past Little Rock
- Dominating defense pushes Mississippi State past Missouri
- Snell leads Kentucky past Mississippi State
- No. 7 Mississippi State rallies past Georgia