INDEPENDENCE, Miss. (WTVA/NWCC Athletics) – Former Northwest Ranger and Southern Mississippi standout shortstop LeeMarcus Boyd has signed a free agent contract with the Colorado Rockies and will make his professional debut this week within the organization's minor league system.
Boyd leaves for Boise, Idaho, on Tuesday morning and will begin his professional career as a member of the Boise Hawks, the Rockies' Class A Short Season club.
"I'm really excited for the opportunity," Boyd said. "I spoke with multiple teams over the last two weeks and it seems like Colorado is the best fit for me. I don't think it's really going to set in until I land in Boise and walk into the clubhouse. I'm ready to begin this new chapter in my life."
Boyd was a two-time All-MACJC selection for the Rangers during the 2015-16 seasons, helping Northwest to 62 combined wins, two NJCAA Region 23 Tournaments and a Top 20 NJCAA final ranking each season.
The Independence product was a .334 lifetime hitter in Senatobia with 22 doubles, five triples, six home runs, 53 RBIs and 39 stolen bases. His 124 career hits ranks fifth all-time, while his 88 runs scored is eighth. Boyd ended his Ranger career with an unofficial school record 64-game reached base streak.
Boyd went on to play the 2017-18 seasons at Southern Miss, helping the Golden Eagles to back-to-back C-USA regular season championships, 2018 C-USA Tournament Title and 94 combined wins. He was voted team captain his senior season.
Boyd started 124 of 126 career games played at USM, hitting .286 with 35 doubles, 11 home runs, 82 RBIs and 97 runs scored. He fielded .936 in nearly 800 chances at shortstop.
Prior to Northwest, Boyd was showered with accolades during his Independence High School career, being named a two-time all-state selection, two-time team MVP, All-Tate county and a four-time all-district nod.
Boyd is the 11th Ranger to sign a professional contract under 15th-year head coach Mark Carson and the first in the Colorado Rockies' organization.
- Boyd signs free agent contract with Rockies
- Tupelo's O'Daniel, Boyd sign with ICC soccer
- Tupelo honors SEC legend Jones-Boyd
- Chiefs sign top draft pick Speaks to rookie contract
- Schaefer signs four-year contract extension with Bulldogs
- Les Miles signs 5-year contract to coach Kansas
- Spurs sign Quinndary Weatherspoon to two-way contract
- Former Lady Tiger signs pro contract with German team
- Former Diamond Dog gets first MLB win as Cardinals top Rockies
- Southern Miss signs football coach Jay Hopson to a new four-year contract