BLUE MOUNTAIN, Miss. (WTVA) - With a new school year set to begin, area coaches and administrators gathered at Blue Mountain College on Wednesday for a reminder of everything that is "Bigger Than Ball."
"Bigger Than Ball" is the name of the foundation started by Blue Mountain athletic director Will Lowrey.
The foundation, which promotes the opportunity for coaches to reflect and reenergize, hosted a conference that featured four other athletic directors as guest speakers: John Cohen of Mississippi State, Keith Carter of Ole Miss, Mike Kinnison of Delta State and Jeremy McClain of Southern Miss.
Each of them discussed working with student-athletes, and reminding them that faith, family and academics should come before athletics.
"I'm very interested in continuing those things, and making sure that they just don't come here and play a sport for four years, leave, and not have any options," Carter said. "I want to make sure they're getting meaningful degrees, that they're doing things that will help them in their future."
"It doesn't take away from any of their goals or their dreams of being a professional athlete, but at the same time, let's have a Plan B, and let's make it a strong Plan B," Cohen said.
"I think the family piece of the picture is really important, to have our families involved, to make sure what we're doing feels like a family, and that we're putting our arms around young people," McClain said. "I think that will always be important to us."
- Blue Mountain hosts Bigger Than Ball conference
- Hatcher signs with Blue Mountain
- Lady Owls outlast Blue Mountain
- Bigger Than Ball Foundation holds speaker's series in Tupelo
- Hatcher leaving Ole Miss for Blue Mountain
- Vardaman's Spencer signs with Blue Mountain baseball
- TCPS' Laney signs with Blue Mountain
- Blue Mountain College releases 2019 baseball schedule
- Amory's Wax signs with Blue Mountain
- Blue Mountain, MUW split baseball doubleheader