BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Booneville High School's football team lost players like Dallas Gamble and Reed Davis to graduation, but the Blue Devils are used to overcoming obstacles.
Booneville was undefeated last year before losing quarterback John Daniel Deaton to a back injury. Head coach Mike Mattox also missed several games while battling pneumonia.
"It shows that no one person is more important than anyone else," Mattox said. "I always tell the kids, 'if I'm here, we're gonna have football at Booneville High School, if I'm not here, we'll still have football at Booneville High School.' The kids took that to heart."
"It says we can pull through whatever, work together, do what we've gotta do, get better," said running back and safety Davian Price.
Booneville won its division last season and lost in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs to eventual state champion Water Valley.
The Blue Devils open at Mooreville on Aug. 23.
- Blue Devils looking for resilience to pay off
- Hatcher signs with Blue Mountain
- Lady Owls outlast Blue Mountain
- Hatcher leaving Ole Miss for Blue Mountain
- Vardaman's Spencer signs with Blue Mountain baseball
- TCPS' Laney signs with Blue Mountain
- Blue Mountain College releases 2019 baseball schedule
- Amory's Wax signs with Blue Mountain
- Blue Mountain, MUW split baseball doubleheader
- Mantachie bowlers sign with Blue Mountain