AMES, Iowa (AP) — Solomon Young scored 14 points, Prentiss Nixon added 13 and Iowa State eased past Southern Miss 73-45 on Tuesday for its second straight win.
Tyrese Haliburton had 12 points with nine assists and three steals for the Cyclones (3-1), who used a 15-2 run to close the first half to pull away.
After a sluggish start, Iowa State held the Golden Eagles scoreless for nearly five minutes in building a 33-20 halftime lead. The Cyclones then reeled off 11 points in a row to make it a 60-34 game midway through the second half.
Iowa State once again struggled from beyond the arc though. After going just 3 of 25 in a win over Northern Illinois, Iowa State was 5 of 22 against the Eagles.
George Conditt had nine points, six rebounds and four blocks off the bench for the Cyclones.
Boban Jacdonmi scored 10 points for the Golden Eagles (1-3). Southern Miss went 0 of 16 from the 3-point line and didn’t shoot its first free throw until there was 2:47 left.
THE BIG PICTURE
Southern Miss: First-year coach Jay Ladner substituted his entire starting five less than two minutes into the second half. That’s not the move of a coach happy with his team.
Iowa State: The Cyclones’ have shown the ability to get buckets inside and from mid-range though. Iowa State scored 28 points in the paint and was 18 of 30 on 2s. Iowa State also forced 16 turnovers
The Eagles host William Carey on Sunday.
Iowa State plays Michigan in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas on Nov. 27.
- Balanced Iowa State cruises past Southern Miss
- Ole Miss baseball cruises past Austin Peay
- LSU cruises past No. 18 Ole Miss
- Balanced scoring leads MSU past FAMU
- Balanced scoring leads Rebels past Colonels
- Rebels cruise past Islanders 85-63
- Hill leads Mississippi State past Southern Miss 38-15
- Jacdonmi carries Southern Miss past Delta State 90-71
- Ole Miss with balanced attack, beats Sam Houston State
- No. 25 Mississippi State cruises past Alcorn State