Auburn, Ala. (Auburn Athletics/WTVA) - Auburn Athletics has extended the contract of baseball head coach Butch Thompson through the 2024 season, Director of Athletics Allen Greene announced Thursday. In his third year, Thompson led the program this past season to its first NCAA Super Regional appearance in 19 years.
“Butch is the epitome of an Auburn man,” Greene said. “He cares deeply about the young men in his program and the Auburn community at large. The recent successes of Auburn Baseball over the past few years indicate that Coach Thompson is one of the best skippers in the country, and we’re fortunate to have him. I’m excited to lock arms with Butch as he continues to build a program that galvanizes the Auburn fan base and captures national acclaim.”
Hired in October 2015, Thompson has posted 103 wins in three seasons, leading the program to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017-18 for the first time in 15 years. Thompson has had 17 players drafted, including pitcher Casey Mize, the No. 1 overall pick in 2018.
“Auburn is a special place for my family and me,” Thompson said. “I’m very fortunate to have a great group of young men to lead, a tremendous staff and a great fan base and community that support our program. I’m proud of the accomplishments we have made on and off the field, yet there is still much work to be done. I’m appreciative and thankful for the commitment and support from Dr. Steven Leath and Allen Greene and blessed to have the opportunity to lead the Auburn baseball program every day.”
Under Thompson’s direction, Auburn has had 37 players named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll and over 30 that have received their degrees.
- Auburn extends head baseball coach Butch Thompson's contract through 2024 season
- Ole Miss extends contract of Coach Yo
- Nick Saban's contract extended through the 2025 season
- UPDATE: Houston introduces new head baseball coach
- Ole Miss extends contract of Kermit Davis
- Hill, Thompson announce return for senior seasons
- Dillard named new head baseball coach at TCPS
- Rodney Batts named Delta State head baseball coach
- Longtime Louisiana head baseball coach Tony Robichaux dies
- Alcorn Central promotes Bain to head baseball coach