STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – Tom Anagnost has resigned as Mississippi State’s head soccer coach to pursue another coaching opportunity, Director of Athletics John Cohen announced on Friday.
“This personal decision has been the biggest and most difficult of my life,” Anagnost said. “Mississippi State is a remarkable place filled with the most wonderful people in the world. I want to personally thank (Director of Athletics) John Cohen, (Deputy Athletic Director) Jared Benko and (Senior Associate Athletic Director) Jay Logan who have always been there to serve our program. This young team has great kids who are prepared to win in the SEC. I know the next head coach here will be an incredibly fortunate person.”
Anagnost compiled an 18-12-6 record in two seasons in Starkville, leading the Bulldogs to a 2018 SEC Tournament appearance and the program’s first NCAA Tournament berth in 2018.
“Tom did an outstanding job in his two seasons as our head soccer coach,” Cohen said. “We respect his decision, and we appreciate his efforts in shaping our program into a winner. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors both personally and professionally. We have already begun a national search to identify our next head coach who will continue the positive momentum this program has established.”
Assistant coach Josh Rife will serve as MSU’s interim head coach. Rife, who joined the MSU staff in July 2018, owns over a decade of coaching experience, including most recently as the associate head coach at Liberty.
- Anagnost resigns as MSU head soccer coach
- McFatrich resigns as MSU volleyball head coach
- MSU soccer assistant Matt Kagan named Oregon State head coach
- Steve Dudley resigns as MSU track and field head coach
- Darty named MSU head volleyball coach
- MSU's Andy Cannizaro resigns
- Richardson named MSU assistant head coach, running backs coach
- Chris Woods named MSU track and field head coach; April Thomas promoted to associate head coach
- MSU announces hiring of Joe Moorhead as head football coach
- Chris Lemonis introduced as MSU head baseball coach