HOUSTON (AP) — Jose Altuve hit a game-ending homer off Aroldis Chapman with two outs in the ninth inning and the Houston Astros outlasted the New York Yankees 6-4 Saturday night to advance to the World Series for the second time in three years.
In a bullpen game with a back-and-forth finish, DJ LeMahieu hit a tying, two-run shot off Astros closer Roberto Osuna in the top of the ninth. Altuve answered with a two-run drive to left-center, setting off a wild celebration at Minute Maid Park.
Astros ace Gerrit Cole was waiting to pitch a potential Game 7 in this AL Championship Series on Sunday. Instead, the postseason star — undefeated since May 22 — could be lined up for Game 1 at home against the NL champion Washington Nationals on Tuesday night.
- Altuve's HR in 9th sends Astros to World Series over Yankees
- Back-to-back HRs sends Dallas Baptist past Southern Miss 9-4
- Former Rebel traded from Twins to Yankees
- Martin hits 2 HRs, Vanderbilt beats Louisville 3-1 in CWS
- Astros draft Ole Miss shortstop Kessinger in second round
- Astros fire manager and general manager for stealing signs
- MUW baseball receives Small College World Series bid
- MUW softball receives USCAA Small College World Series bid
- Game 1 of College World Series finals postponed by rain
- Oregon State wins College World Series, beating Arkansas 5-0