TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Alabama has dismissed linebacker VanDarius Cowan from the team for violating unspecified team rules.
Coach Nick Saban announced the decision Monday in a statement, saying "each of us has a responsibility to represent the University of Alabama in a first-class way, and failure to meet those standards can't be tolerated."
Saban says Cowan violated team rules, but did not specify what rules.
Cowan played in seven games last season as a freshman. He made two tackles, both coming against Mercer.
Cowan was rated a five-star prospect out of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, by Scout.com.
- Alabama dismisses linebacker VanDarius Cowan from team
- MSU linebacker Leo Lewis arrested
- Marve named MSU linebackers coach
- McQuary dismissed from MSU baseball team
- Ole Miss adds Jon Sumrall as linebackers coach
- Ole Miss football names Jeff Koonz inside linebackers coach
- MSU linebacker Willie Gay says he's going pro
- Alabama routs Louisville 51-14
- MSU downs South Alabama
- Alabama defeats Mississippi State 31-24