JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - A Webster County bridge has been added to a list of bridges that need immediate closure.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation announced on Wednesday that 34 bridges would be immediately closed after they were deemed unsafe.
MDOT received an updated list on Thursday that included 27 additional bridges, including the bridge on Webster County Road 256 over Little Black Creek.
The current list totals 61 bridges and does not include any other bridges in the WTVA 9 News viewing area.
MDOT Executive Director Melinda McGrath said many of the bridges should have been closed in September, but many county supervisors did not act.
However, this doesn't appear to be the case with the Webster County bridge. MDOT spokesman Jason Scott said bridge inspections are ongoing.
Federal officials have threatened the state with the loss of federal transportation funds if the state doesn’t follow federal bridge guidelines.
RELATED: Mississippi closes more bridges
- Webster County bridge added to growing closure list
- Webster County inmates face charges
- 2 counties sue Mississippi governor over bridge closures
- Federal government orders closure of Monroe County bridge
- UPDATE: Webster County teen located safe
- Several injuries in Webster County house fire
- Webster County man fires rifle at sheriff
- Reward offered In Webster County shooting
- Man wanted in Webster County for burglaries
- Three arrested in Webster County theft ring