TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Authorities in Lee County spent Monday removing tents and debris from a property in the Auburn community.
The tents had been set up behind an abandoned mobile home on Auburn Road.
Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson said the occupants of the tents had been living there for about a year.
However, they did not have the property owner’s permission to set up there.
The sheriff also said the people had been harassing the neighborhood by going door-to-door, stealing and rambling through other people's yards.
Johnson said Lee County had been trying to resolve this issue and finally received the appropriate paperwork to take action.
He added that deputies also found a lot of stolen property there.
- Lee County removes tents, debris from Auburn property
- Columbus continues storm debris removal
- Tupelo continues storm debris removal
- Lee County Sheriff's Department links recent arrests to tent city
- Road workers remove storm debris in Craig Springs
- UPDATE: Lee County road reopens
- Fire destroys Lee County home
- Lee County judge sworn in
- Lee County reopens County Road 54
- Monroe County awaiting declaration before tornado debris pick-up