RIPLEY, Miss. (WTVA) - A Tippah County grand jury has indicted Troy Eaton with first-degree murder for the death of an off-duty state trooper.
Josh Smith, 32, was shot and killed on Sept. 30, 2018, in the Hatchie Bottom area near the Alcorn County line.
Another person, Rickie Dale Vick, was also shot but survived.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore said the grand jury indicted Eaton with attempted murder in connection to Vick’s injury.
Eaton claims the shooting was in self-defense.
No trial date has been set.
Eaton remains free on a $300,000 bond.
- Grand jury indicts Eaton with death of off-duty trooper
- Grand jury indicts Water Valley daycare worker
- Report: Grand jury indicts man for school bus crossing death
- Report: Grand jury indicts mother for infant's death
- Man back in jail after grand jury indictments
- Grand jury indicts Harvey Weinstein in rape case
- Grand jury indicts accused Walmart shooter, former Starkville parks director
- Grand jury indicts man accused of shooting at pastor
- Lowndes County grand jury indicts 2015 murder suspect
- Second grand jury declines to indict driver in death of 7-year-old Amiya Braxton