STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A Starkville business is receiving criticism following an incident during Saturday night’s severe weather.
Many people claim the restaurant Bin 612 prevented them from seeking shelter inside the restaurant.
The business’ owner Ty Thames explained the restaurant could not accommodate a large crowd inside.
He estimated the crowd exceeded 250 people and explained the restaurant's indoor capacity is 99 people.
He also pointed out the restaurant's glass exterior.
“The intent was for people to leave with time to get to a safe space, including the underground parking garage directly across the street.”
The Starkville Police Department confirmed a responding police officer used pepper spray to help subdue a man who was "actively involved in a physical altercation."
VIDEO: People react to the incident
- Starkville business under fire for incident during severe weather
- Starkville shooting incident ruled accidental
- Starkville police respond to 'purse snatching' incident
- Could Starkville parade denial hurt business?
- Businesses in Starkville see increase in sales
- Fire destroys Starkville apartment building
- WTVA Severe Weather Authority Blog
- Fire destroys Corinth business
- Starkville hosts Winter Fire Chiefs Conference
- No injuries in Starkville car fire