LOUISVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A woman in Winston County told deputies she was tricked into giving out almost $800 to Facebook scammers.
She told sheriff's deputies she was recently locked out of her Facebook account.
An email was sent to her with a number to call to fix the account. The people she talked to instructed her to buy Google Pay cards.
Winston County Sheriff Jason Pugh says she realized it was possibly a scam after buying several cards with no results.
Deputies spoke with the alleged scammers on the phone. Pugh says they told deputies, "It's a scam. Catch me if you can."
An investigation has been launched into this matter.
- Woman reports Facebook scheme scammed her out of hundreds
- Alabama man held in alleged kidnapping scheme
- Golden man charged in food selling scheme
- Woman accused of robbing, kidnapping Facebook friend
- UPDATE: Report of Webster scam revealed as false
- Prosecutors: Mississippi man stole more than $100M in scheme
- UPDATE: Belmont man pleads guilty in food selling scheme
- Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen pleads guilty in hush-money scheme
- Facebook staff had access to hundreds of millions of people's passwords