CALHOUN COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A woman is dead after a house fire in Calhoun County.
The fire happened Wednesday sometime near 11 a.m. on County Road 278 in the Banner community.
Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan says the woman did not live alone, but the caretakers were not home at the time of the fire.
Fire officials are trying to determine the exact cause of the fire.
Calhoun County Deputy Coroner Jess Moore identified the woman as 60-year-old Martha Carol Herron. He says she died of smoke inhalation.
Investigators later stated her son lived with her and was not home at the time.
Herron's sister, Bonnie Jones, says her sister was disabled and would have had a hard time getting out of the house.
Jones remembers her sister as a lively person who was loved by everyone.
- Woman dies in Calhoun County house fire
- Woman dies in Calhoun County wreck
- Noxubee County woman died in house fire
- Coroner: Woman dies following morning house fire
- No injuries in Calhoun County trailer fire
- Calhoun County fire department remembers admired firefighter
- UPDATE: Calhoun County inmate found
- Bridge closed in Calhoun County
- Troopers investigate Calhoun County crash
- Former Calhoun County Circuit Court Judge Henry Lackey dies