UPDATE: According to Calhoun County Coroner Jerry Fleming, 57-year-old Sandy McCullar passed away following the morning fire in which she suffered serious burns.
WTVA's Rebecca Butcher is following this story and will have updates throughout the day.
See the original story below.
CALHOUN COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A woman has died after suffering burns from a morning house fire in Calhoun County on County Road 130.
Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan says 57-year-old Sandy McCullar reportedly raced back inside to rescue her cats around 1 a.m. Wednesday.
“They got out of the house," said Deputy Jimmy Wiygal. "Mrs. McCullar sustained third-degree burns and she was transported to the Med in Memphis.”
At the hospital, McCullar later died in the afternoon.
Pollan says when his department arrived on the scene the house was fully engulfed. He says the woman who lived there went back into the house to get a pet and was burned as a result.
Residents say they're heartbroken for the victim's family.
“That was just a sad thing to happen over here in Calhoun," said Co Co Watson, who lives in Bruce. "Too close."
Pollan says sheriff's investigators are working with the state fire marshal in the investigation.
Authorities warn the public not to enter a burning structure for any reason.
“Once you make it out of the house don’t ever go back inside, said Deputy Jimmy Wiygal." All the stuff that was lost in the fire is all stuff that could be replaced.”
- Coroner: Woman dies following morning house fire
- Woman dies in Calhoun County house fire
- Woman dies following morning stabbing
- Long-serving DeSoto County coroner dies at 63
- Coroner: Autopsy shows Plantersville man died from gunshot wounds
- One person dies in overnight house fire
- Pet dies in Union County house fire
- Union Coroner: Man killed in ATV accident
- Coroner: Big Creek man killed in wreck
- Long-time neighbor remembers man who died in house fire