UPDATE: According to Calhoun County Coroner Jerry Fleming, 57-year-old Sandy McCullar passed away following the morning fire in which she suffered serious burns.
WTVA's Rebecca Butcher is following this story and will have updates throughout the day.
See the original story below.
CALHOUN COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A woman has died after suffering burns from a morning house fire in Calhoun County on County Road 130.
Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan says 57-year-old Sandy McCullar reportedly raced back inside to rescue her cats around 1 a.m. Wednesday.
“They got out of the house," said Deputy Jimmy Wiygal. "Mrs. McCullar sustained third-degree burns and she was transported to the Med in Memphis.”
At the hospital, McCullar later died in the afternoon.
Pollan says when his department arrived on the scene the house was fully engulfed. He says the woman who lived there went back into the house to get a pet and was burned as a result.
Residents say they're heartbroken for the victim's family.
“That was just a sad thing to happen over here in Calhoun," said Co Co Watson, who lives in Bruce. "Too close."
Pollan says sheriff's investigators are working with the state fire marshal in the investigation.
Authorities warn the public not to enter a burning structure for any reason.
“Once you make it out of the house don’t ever go back inside, said Deputy Jimmy Wiygal." All the stuff that was lost in the fire is all stuff that could be replaced.”
- Coroner: Woman dies following morning house fire
- Coroner: Amory woman dies in apartment fire
- Coroner: Amory woman killed in morning crash
- Woman dies in Calhoun County house fire
- Noxubee County woman died in house fire
- Woman dies following morning stabbing
- Coroner: Parchman inmate dies of natural causes
- Coroner: One dead after Monroe County house fire
- Coroner: 1 killed in Tishomingo County fire
- Long-serving DeSoto County coroner dies at 63