WINSTON COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A man accused of starting a fatal fire in Winston County appeared before a judge.
Fred Eiland is charged with two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of murder and one count of arson.
The fire, which happened on July 13, left his wife dead. His son later died at a Jackson hospital.
According to law enforcement, Eiland’s daughter and her boyfriend say they saw Eiland push an air conditioner into the building and then light a match.
Officers say the building smelled of gasoline during the investigation.
According to law enforcement, Eiland admitted to doing it but claims he only wanted to hurt his wife, not his son.
Investigators say Eiland and his wife had prior altercations weeks before the fire.
No bond was set, and the case is heading to a grand jury.
- Winston County murder suspect appears before judge
- UPDATE: Judge denies bond for Winston County murder suspect
- UPDATE: Columbus murder suspects appear before judge
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Winston County capital murder suspect
- UPDATE: Noxubee shooting suspect appears before judge
- UPDATE: Macon shooting suspect appears before judge
- UPDATE: Winona murder suspect appears in court
- Judge revokes bond for Starkville murder suspect
- Judge lowers bond for Itawamba murder suspect
- UPDATE: Guilty verdict in Winston County murder trial