WEST POINT, Miss. (WTVA) - A soccer player from West Point High School died Tuesday after a two-car accident in Clay County.
Jonathan Fondren, 16, of Columbus, was killed after his sports car collided with an SUV.
West Point Athletics profile on Twitter is now a "J.F." with the number 23 in his memory.
"Jonathan was a kid that was out-going, very energetic," said Steve Cannon, West Point soccer coach. "It was never a dull moment with him. He made soccer practice really fun."
The coaches were thinking of canceling the first game, which is scheduled for Thursday, but changed their mind because Fondren was excited to play his first game.
The team plans to dedicate this season to him.
- West Point soccer player dies in crash; remembered by friends
- MDOC remembers former West Point police officer
- Family, friends gather to remember Lowndes County constable Hoot West
- West Point man killed in weekend crash
- Friends remember Choctaw County's Moe Hardin
- UPDATE: Friends remember Oktibbeha County murder victim
- Former West Point police officer dies over the weekend
- West Point police investigate stabbing
- Former players and fans remember Coach Brewer
- MSU remembers softball player Alex Wilcox